Monday, December 8, 2008

Best Song: A Match Made in Heaven?








Jenny Lewis has been one of my favorite singer/songwriters for quite a few years, almost as many as I've been a full-fledged Oscar addict. So when I found out that she wrote an original song for Disney's adorable movie Bolt, I was rife with anticipation and concern. On the one hand, the song could be crap and I would be forced to lose some respect for her for selling out ever so slightly (Sort of like I was with the majority of "Under the Blacklight"), but no worries - the song "Barking at the Moon" is breezy and catchy without being moronically droning and it lends itself quite well to a kids movie. After songs like "Glendora" and "A Better Son or Daughter" it's a little strange to hear the lovely Ms. Lewis singing from the viewpoint of a dog, but for some reason it works really well.

Not that she'll win. Everyone is basically lining up to be sawed in half by Bruce Springstein or Peter Gabriel, but for a longtime fan it'd be an extra treat to watch an Oscar telecast and see this sexy indie-rock goddess instead of the Enchanted trio of doom. A man can dream...

2 comments:

Jim Eustice said...

I think you ought to consider Man on Wire in some of your Oscar talk. I know it doesn't stand a chance, but pretty much everyone seems to be in agreement that it's one of the best films of the year. It's certainly worth consideration.

I know that had nothing to do with Bolt.

limeymcfrog said...

whatever, I'm just glad I got my first effing comment.

Created by Windy Road - Blogger port by Blogger Templates