Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oscar Nominations: Epic Fail

S0, this year's nominations have left several people disturbed. Where's the support for The Dark Knight? Why wasn't critical darling Wall-E rewarded with a nod? But this didn't just start with the nominations. Several people have indicated that this year was a very weak year for the overall quality of the nominees. I tend to agree, but it's even worse than that. In an already weak year, I believe the Academy has passed over several deserving films to reward a lineup of usual suspects: Period Romances and Biopics. Of course you have to have one feel-good indie type to add just enough spice to make the smell of studio control and cronyism dissapate. This is the first year that I can remember when I can't think of a single film I'm rooting for.

Here's how I rate this year's films, one by one.

The Reader - Mismanaged second act and tepid, sanctimonious third act make this an embarassing choice for Best Picture. The acting is fine, but Hare's script is clumsy and Daldry's directing loses its way quite often. Winslet is a supporting actress, not a lead and should really hope that Harvey Weinstein hasn't painted her into a corner on the road to getting her an Oscar win.

Rating: 5/10



Frost/Nixon - A capable director and great cast take on some bad history. Who can forget the colossal importance of the David Frost interviews on the reputation of Richard Nixon? That'd be just about everyone, becuase it wasn't half as important as this film pretends it is. Peter Morgan does a nice job of pumping up the stakes and fitting the interviews into a neat three act structure that is entertaining but rings so false.

Side Note: After Nixon makes his obviously fictional "you and I are actually quite similar" phone call, and Frost decides to... you know, do his job and research for the final interview, do you imagine "Gonna Fly Now" or "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background? I vote for Joe Ventoso's legendary "The Best Around" from The Karate Kid.

Rating: 6/10



Slumdog Millionaire - I've already been heard on this subject, begins very well and just collapses at the end. Those who love this film seem to forget that stories are about people and people are more complicated than this. Lateeka may as well be a blow up doll at the end for all the depth she is given. But I guess if you like films where women are glorified prizes to be won by the male hero at the end, then this is just... stellar stuff.

Rating: 6/10



Milk - I admire the craft that went into this film, and it does a wonderful job of telling an emotional story without getting preachy. But ultimately, this prize isn't about good, it's about great. It's about unforgettable. Sean Penn plays Harvey Milk brilliantly, but I never really got to know him. Harvey Milk, as he is in this film, never changes or adapts. He grows a beard and later shaves it off, but there is no arc to his story. We see his slow building success, but the reasons for his success are all external. In fact all of the complications are also external For all the love and care that went into this film, it doesn't tell you anything a documentary couldn't about the events of Harvey Milk's life. And that's what this film is, real people imitating history, not revealing the true human behind the legend. This film never really moved me, despite the terribly tragic events that transpire...

Rating: 7/10


The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - This is, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. That is a very sad statement for me to make because Eric Roth's narrative is a complete mess. He and Fincher are never in control of what could be an endlessly fascinating complication. Benjamin Button is less a cohesive arc and more of a collection of interesting short stories barely strung together. What elevates this film is the incredible craft behind and in front of the camera. Working together, these artists create some sublime moments... but looking back on them they just don't amount to much

Rating: 8/10

Not much to cheer about. I'm still having an Oscar Party, but it'll be lest festive I think.

2 comments:

Jim Eustice said...

I just don't get what you have against Frost/Nixon's fuzzy history.

It's not an adaptation of an interview. It's an adaptation of a play: a play that was pretty generously praised.

So...I guess I don't get what your problem is with a fictional phone call when they make no pretense that the film is adapted from a play.

limeymcfrog said...

I failed to appreciate Frost/Nixon. I don't think the event it depicted was that important, I don't think it had anything interesting to say about the time period or today, and I thought for all it's verisimilitude, the story arc was not very believable.

You thought it was good, and several others do, I'm not one of them.

Created by Windy Road - Blogger port by Blogger Templates